1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats the difference between a Sandfly and a Mosquito?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sammy, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Sammy

Sammy Supportive Member

To be honest I thought they were the same but people had different names for them. So can someone tell me what the difference is please?
  2. crispy

crispy Inactive Account

3. Sammy

Sammy Supportive Member

4. crispy

crispy Inactive Account

They can be very painful, when we were in New England a few years back, we were on the beach and JFB got some very nasty nips, I've had a few in my time as well.
  5. Sammy

Sammy Supportive Member

Ive been bit and had them weals on my arms and legs.......they itch worse than any mozzie bites, in fact mozzies are little softies at the side of them sandflies! :thumbdown:
  6. Sally Lambert

Sally Lambert Supportive Member

oh boy! I can tell you the difference! A sandfly bite is, for me anyway, incredibly painful, the surrounding area becomes very swollen, hot, sore and itchy. The swelling continues until there is a huge solid mass wherever I have been bitten. Eventually, my skin 'bursts, the itching abates, but I am left with a horrible hole in my skin which takes sometimes months to heal...and always leaves a scar. I also get flu like symptoms within 24 hours of being bitten and all I can do is go to bed and sleep.

By comparison, a mozzie bite is a small lump, a little bit itchy, which very quickly settles down to nothing.

A choice? Give me mozzie bites every time, thanks!!!
    Sammy, Tim and crispy like this.
  7. Sally Lambert

just to let you know last night, despite spraying with all sorts of noxious chemicals, I was bitten by a sandfly on my foot...I know it was, 'cos I killed the little b****r.... this morning my foot has swollen up, is very painful to walk on and if touched feels as bruised as if I had dropped a brick on it!
  8. La Gallega

La Gallega Inactive Account

Ouch Sally!! :( What do they advise when you get bitten - is it just a case of using ice packs for the swelling and anti-histamines?

LG.xx
  9. Sally Lambert

I wish I could tell you! I went to the farmacia when I first discovered my reaction to the bites, and he shrugged his shoulders and said...'es normal'. I take anti histamines and put a cream on the bites but i want to know....WHY DO THEY PICK ON ME SO MUCH???

Last night, there were 4 of us sat outside at our place enjoying the fresh air...guess who, out of the 4 of us, was the only one to be bitten??????
    1 person likes this.
  10. Sam Greenfield

Sam Greenfield Supportive Member

You must taste good Sally ;) :wub:
  11. Warren D

Warren D Supportive Member

I'll tell you the difference.
    Sandflies. They bite the missus but they don't bit me.
    Mozzies. They bite me but don't bite the missus.
    Sammy likes this.
  12. bil

bil Supportive Member

They are all a pain. Sandflies are very, very different from Mozzies and other biting flies. If you google images, you can see the differences. Mozzies are very slender and gracile, sandflies more short and stumpy. At the moment we are suffering a plague of stable flies, which are VERY similar to the small housefly you get, but the difference is that these bite like a hot needle, and you don't have the time to spot the difference.

Jan reacts badly to them, but if the sandfly bites are as bad as described then we are getting off lightly here, it would seem.
    Sammy, crispy and Darren like this.